Out and About
Shere and the Surrey Hills have long been an escape to the country. We are very lucky to have on our doorstep some fantastic places to visit and so many local activities. Below we feature a selection which we hope you'll enjoy......
To learn more we provide a choice of information leaflets on the local villages and places of interest. These leaflets are for you to take and use as they detail local walks on an OS map with suggested places to stop off and visit on route.
Places to eat and drink...
............AND DISCOUNTS FOR OUR GUESTS !
Whether its a 2 minute walk or a two mile drive, a stay in Shere offers a variety of shops and hostelries - from one of Surrey's finest restaurants at Kinghams, to a good pie and a pint at The White Horse......or a full English breakfast to remember at The Dabbling Duck....Shere has it all !
- Kinghams Restaurant - Gomshall Lane, Shere . www.kinghams-restaurant.co.uk. Tel 01483 202168
- The White Horse - The Square, across the road from Vaughans - (25% discount for our guests - just ask as you order!) Tel 01483 202158 website - www.chefandbrewer.com/pub/white-horse-shere
- The William Bray - across the road from Vaughans - ( 20% discount for our guests - just ask as you order ! ) www.thewillianbray.co.uk Tel. 01483 202044
- The Dabbling Duck - Middle Street, Shere - ( 10% discount for our guests - just ask as you order ! )- excellent breakfasts - www.thedabblingduck.uk.com - 01483 205791.
- Carlos Trattoria - Newlands Corner - www.carlostrattoria.com. 01483 224180.
- The Mill - Gomshall - gastro pub - ( free glass of Prosecco for our guests - just ask ! ) www.homecountiespubs.co.uk. 01483 203060
Places to visit
- Wisley Gardens - Wisley - HQ of the RHS - www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley - 20 minutes by car.
- The Medicine Garden - Cobham - www.themedicinegarden,com - 20 minutes by car
- Silent Pool Distilleries - Albury - makers of a very special gin ! www.silentpooldistillers.com - 5 minutes by car
- Albury Vineyard - Albury - purveyors of fine wine to Royalty ! - www.alburyvineyard.com
- Hampton Court - Henry VIII's Royal Palace and Gardens - 35 minutes by car - www.hrp.org.uk/Hampton-Court
- Loseley Park - Elizabethan Manor House set in ancient woodlands with stunning views. South of Guildford - 15 minutes by car. www.loseleypark.co.uk
- Polesdon Lacey - wonderful Regency House set high in the North Downs with beautiful gardens . 20 minutes by car.- www.nationaltrust.org.uk/polesdon-lacey
Arts & Music
- The Grange Opera - West Horsley - a rival to Glyndebourne ! www.grangeparkopera.co.uk - 10 minutes by car
- The Investec International Music Festival in the Surrey Hills - a number of venues in the area - attracting some of the world's top musicians. www.iimf.co.uk
- Hannah Peschar Gardens - Wallis Wood - experience art in the setting of a beautiful and magical gardens . www.hannahpescharsculpture.com - 20 minutes by car.
- Watts Gallery - Compton - exhibition of this outstanding C19th British artist - www.wattsgallery.org.uk - 20 minutes by car
- Hatchlands Park & Museum of Musical Instruments - East Clandon - National Trust property well worth a visit - www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hatchlands-park - 5 minutes by car
- andHobbs - Middle Street, Shere - for a range of creative style and design workshops. www.andhobbs.com. Two minutes on foot
- Shere Museum, Gomshall Lane - learn about the past that's shaped the village and area - two minutes on foot. www.sheremuseum/.co.uk
( You can hire our two mountain bikes for £10 per day per bike ! )
Cycling is what a good many of our visitors come here for - with miles and miles of off-roading, plus the Olympic Cycle Route coming right through the area !
If its not cycling then the walkers are certainly the main visitors to Shere and have been for over 100 years ! But what better place to excerise the legs than on the sandy trails of the Surrey Hills - Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Pitch Hill, Newlands Corner offer some of the best views in the South of England .
- www.trakhireuk.com - for more information in The Trek Hire Shop, Shere.
General Interest and information
- Sally Welch Cookery Demonstrations - Gomshall. Learn to prepare amazing food www.sallyscookerydemos.co.uk - 5 minutes by car
- Surrey Life - A general source for 'What's On' in the area - www.surreylife.co.uk
- The Guide to Surrey - making sure you don't get lost ! www.theguide2surrey.com
- St James Church, Shere - c 12th Gothic C of E Church - central to village life even today ! See where the Anchoress of Shere was holed up. The Church also featured in the film, 'Bridgette Jones' Diary '
- The romantic comedy, 'The Holiday' starring Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, and Jack Black, was filmed here in Shere. Visit the site of The Cottage and other locations - featured in the film !
- Doctors Surgery - Gomshall Lane - 01483 202066 - 3 minute walk
- The Shere Shop - The Square, Shere - an Aladdin's Cave of top quality gifts and artefacts - next door to Vaughans !!
- Cuckoo Corner, Middle Street, Shere - great place to brouse for those unusual gifts. 1 minute on foot
- Thorpe Park - a great day out for the children ! 30 minutes by car. www.thorpepark.com
- Chessington World of Adventure - still the best all round entertainment for the whole family in the South of England . 30 minutes by car. www.chessington.com